28: Engraved Powder Horn, Moses Walcut
Engraved Powder Horn, Moses Walcut
14" length, engrailed edge with a 3.5" smooth spout and a notched surface around the opening. A domed wood base with a brass eye in the base. Engraved with the British coat of arms with highlighting behind the guardians and shield ending with another royal lion standing atop the crown. Engravings of soldiers, birds, animals, trees, including a winged griffon with large pointed teeth. Engraved Moses Walcut Horns Made At Fort EDW 1758. 1758 is engraved behind the soldiers. This well documented horn is featured in Jim Dresslar's The Engraved Powder Horn book on pages 28 & 29, in which Private Walcut's military service is summarized: drafted out of the 5th Connecticut Regiment of Militia, served 15 days in the 1757 campaign in Capt Rudd's Connecticut Militia in relief of Fort William Henry. Walcut later served in Col. Fitch's 3rd Connecticut Regiment from April 13 to November 20, the entire 1758 campaign.
During the French & Indian War Fort Edward was a key strategic military post on the east bank of the upper Hudson River, the center of a frontier war zone known in lore as the "The Great Carrying Place." Ft. Edward was constructed in 1755 on the site of an earlier French post and was improved during 1755-56 as an expansive three bastion, Vauban-style fort made of stone surrounded by a dry moat. Opposite the fort was Rogers Island, the base camp of the famous green-clad Rogers Rangers who made their reputation mimicking native tactics during the French and Indian War.
The garrison was heavily reinforced in August-September 1757 following the loss of Ft. William Henry (the French burned it) and the horrendous massacre that occurred at the base of Lake George. As the tide of war slowly turned in favor of the British, Fort Edward served as the major staging area and depot for Major General Jeffery Amherst's British Army during his ultimately successful invasion of Canada in 1759-60.
The horn has a nice white-to-yellow patina. There is a small chip at the base where Fort Edward is engraved. This is an outstanding French and Indian War engraved powder horn.