A RUSSIAN ICON OF THE NATIVITY, 19th c., egg tempera, gesso, and gold leaf on panel. Two insert splints on edges. 35.5 x 30.5 cm. (14 x 12 in.) PROVENANCE: Acquired in Moscow in the 1930's by Dr. Adolphus S. Rumreich; Thence by descent. Dr. Adolphus S. Rumreich served as the physician at the United States Embassy in Moscow, Russia from 1935 to 1938. While there, he and his wife, Edna Irene Hall Rumreich, assembled a sizeable collection of Russian pre-revolutionary art and books then being sold by the Soviet government. They often accompanied Ambassador Joseph Davies and his wife, Marjorie Merriweather Post, when they visited Torgsin and other Soviet agencies selling antiques to foreign dignitaries.