William Clark (greenock, 1803-1883) The ‘hanover’ O
WILLIAM CLARK (GREENOCK, 1803-1883)
The ‘Hanover’ of Glasgow flying the House Flag of Stirling & Gordon
Signed ‘W. Clark 1839’ (left of middle).
Inscribed on contemporary label to reverse ‘No. 3 portrait of Hanover of Glasgow, Clark 1839’
Oil on canvas
24 x 36in. (61 x 91.5cm.)
Built and launched by Scott of Greenock in 1826, the 290 ton barque Hanover was one of a small fleet of eight vessels built over the years for the West Indian sugar traders Stirling & Gordon of Glasgow, making many round trips to Jamaica. Hanover served her original owners until 1843, when she was sold to W. Blues of Leith for their Africa trade. By 1846 she was transferred to Halket & Co. of London and was absent from Lloyd’s Register by 1848. An earlier painting by Clark dated for 1830 depicts Hanover arriving in the Clyde just as her consort, the Christian, departs.
Literature: A.S.Davidson: Marine Art and the Clyde, Jones-Sands Publishing, 2001, page 113.