circa early 1800's; This nicely crafted 3 story center opening dolls' house features a balustraded roof, colonnaded and pediment windows and portico. The exterior is hand painted faux stone block with coigning. Early houses like this one were often constructed of repurposed wood and materials as indicated from some chipping on balustrades under windows. The house retains early if not original paint. Later generations were often inclined to update the decor of earlier houses but in this case the interior has surprisingly retained much of its original features including painted walls and floors, wallpapers, velvet lambrequins dotted with Dresden scraps which grace the fireplace surrounds, window glass with painted green shades (popular in the early 1800's) and mirrors and pictures permanently affixed to the walls. Another very unusual feature of the house is the dumb waiter or elevator built into the alcoves, this metal unit is strung through and operated by pulleys on the roof. This house is pictured and discussed on pages 169-171 of Antique Dolls' Houses, Flora Gill Jacobs © 2005. Furnishings from this house will be sold in the next 10 lots.
42" t. x 25" w. x 14.5" d.