lots of lots

GROUP OF FOUR CASED ENGRAVED FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR MAP

item-100823594=1
item-100823594=2
item-100823594=3
GROUP OF FOUR CASED ENGRAVED FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR MAP
Item Details
Description
These horns are featured and discussed in an article by John O. Luke on pages 40-42 of "Man at Arms" Magazine, volume 18, No. 3 from June, 1996. Three of these horns were originally acquired from the auction held at Eglinton Castle in Ayreshire, Scotland. This historic event was held for five consecutive days beginning on December 1, 1925. They are cased in a period lidded brown leather covered box measuring 19" x 16 1/2" x 4 3/4". The lid is embossed with gilt scrolls and florals. The fitted interior is of beige linen. Two of the horns bear the royal arms and one bears the arms of the Earls of Eglinton. The crests of the Earls are worked into the design of the horn and therefore must have been requested by Earl Archibald Montgomerie (1726-1796) when he commissioned them. At the advent of the French & Indian War Lieutenant Colonel Archibald Montgomerie raised a regiment of Scottish troops later to be designated the 77th Regiment of Foot. This regiment was in service with Montgomerie as its commanding officer from 1757 to 1763. Montgomerie arrived in Charleston, South Carolina with 1,465 men in 1757 and was quickly shipped to Philadelphia to join the command of Brigadier General John Forbes. In 1758, he and his 77th Regiment fought with George Washington and Henry Bouquet in the Fort Duquesne Expedition. They returned to Philadelphia for the winter before joining with General Amherst's troops in 1759 to lay siege to Fort Ticonderoga and Crown Point, which were both later abandoned by the French. At the end of 1759, Colonel Montgomerie proceeded to New York City with 600 troops of the 77th Regiment. By June 1, 1760, he was back in South Carolina fighting the Cherokee Indians at the Battle of Etchocy, with mixed results. After marching to the coast, he returned to New York. It is at that time that he probably commissioned these powder horns. The travels of Colonel Archibald Montgomerie, from one campaign to the other place him in New York in 1760. He probably procured these horns while there, as a souvenir of his adventures in America. He likely was aware that the war was ending and he would soon be returning to Scotland. (A) This is a beautiful and exceptionally detailed horn. It is a well decorated horn with a 3" silver buttcap engraved with the coat of arms granted specifically to the 11th Earl, Archibald Montgomerie. It shows a cartouche with motto "Garde/Bien" which translates to "Guard Well". The basic coat of arms, which was granted to the first Earl of Eglinton, displays a shield quartered with a fleur-de-lis, which has always belonged to the Montgomeries since their arrival to Britain with William the Conqueror. The family arms and Earl's crown are supported on each side by two griffins. Above the crown, a female figure is holding an anchor in her right hand and in her left hand the severed head of an Indian. This horn also has another slightly different crest engraved on the body depicting the unique arms of all of the Earls of Eglington. Later in its useful life, it had this silver buttcap and probably a mechanical powder measure added to it. The powder charger is now absent. This polychrome engraved horn depicts places including "Schnchdy", "Ston Rabby", "Rinars The Vermont Settler", "Wm. Johnson's", as well as many forts and other sundry locations of the period. Also engraved in a cartouche is "MAP OF THE / COUNTY OF / ALBANY DON / BY A SCALE / EIGHT MILE / TO A INCH / 1760". Length 13 - 1/4". CONDITION: Excellent with minor dings, there is a small indentation of worm damage 1/2" below the silver cap. All images are very clear. (B) Another beautifully detailed polychrome engraved powder horn. The 3" wooden butt plug, made of North American Eastern White Pine has remnants of brown and red paint. At the base of the plug is engraved "PLAN OF CITY AND HARBOUR OF NEW YORK ANNO 1760". It has a royal coat of arms above a panoply of arms, as well as a view of New York Harbor with several well-detailed ships. Engraved are cities and forts from New York to Lake Champlain and Fort Niagara. There are many well engraved buildings that signify different locations including "GERMAN FLATTS" and "PORIWTON", as well as the usual "FORT NIAGARA" and "ALBANY", with usual artistic spelling. Other images include villages, towns and a compass. This is an extremely well executed horn measuring 13 1/2" in length. CONDITION: Excellent, with a very nice light patina. The nicely carved vase and ring, darker recessed spout end of horn is in excellent condition. (C) This is another professionally engraved map horn. The 2 1/2" wooden butt plug, made of North American eastern white pine, has much of its original brown paint. This map horn is also engraved with a city view of New York and other locations terminating in "LAKE ONTERIO". Included are many of the colonial forts. It has the British royal coat of arms and is probably executed by the same hand who engraved horn (B). Also included are images of a floral basket, many architectural depictions of houses, churches, etc. Horn measures 11" in length. CONDITION: There are several 1" and smaller, thin hairline cracks at the edge of the lobe. The carved lobe has an old 1" chip. Otherwise, condition is very good. All images are very clear with very little distressing. The darker 3 3/8" recessed end of the horn has two rings and is in excellent condition. (D) A fourth horn is associated and possibly was the original fourth horn in this cased set. This powder horn is missing its wooden buttcap and has an added silver instrumental mouthpiece for use as a hunting horn. The butt end is 2 7/8". It has been cut down slightly and has a 1/2" abrasion at that end, obscuring one of the illustrated ships. The polychrome engraved horn sports the royal crest over a panoply of arms. The City and Harbor of New York are pictured at the base, as well as many of the towns and forts located on the way to Lake Champlain. This is a well executed horn with excellent engravings of houses, ships, a compass, flags, trees and a windmill. Horn measures 12" in length. CONDITION: Excellent as described. All images are clear and very attractive. INCLUDED WITH THIS LOT: Two notebooks, the first contains correspondence between John Luke and James Serven, as well as Herman Dean. It also includes an original catalog of the auction at Eglinton Castle, Ayshire on Tuesday, December 1, 1925. It contains prints, maps, newspaper articles, correspondence with various institutions, a 1944 newspaper article discussing the display of these powder horns by Herman P. Dean of Huntington, West Virginia and many typewritten documents regarding the 11th Earl and the Montgomerie family. The second notebook contains over 50 pages of old typewritten information regarding Archibald Montgomerie in the French & Indian War in America. Also included are Volumes I and II of the "Memorials of the Montgomeries Earls of Eglinton" by Edinburgh, 1859. There is also a copy of the article from Man at Arms Magazine which accompanies these historic horns. PROVENANCE: 11th Earl of Eglinton (Archibald Montgomerie), Collection of Eglinton Castle until December 3, 1925 when they were sold as lots 871-873 in Dowell's Ltd. Eglinton Castle sale, Purchased by Ellis & Smith in London and sold to Herman Dean, Estate of John Luke. DRG
Buyer's Premium
  • 28%

GROUP OF FOUR CASED ENGRAVED FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR MAP

Estimate $100,000 - $300,000
May 18, 2021
See Sold Price
Starting Price $50,000
Shipping, Payment & Auction Policies
Ships from Denver, PA, United States
Dan Morphy Auctions

Dan Morphy Auctions

Denver, PA, United States
16,380 Followers

Related Searches

logo
www.liveauctioneers.com
item

1130: GROUP OF FOUR CASED ENGRAVED FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR MAP

Sold for $180,000
19 Bids
Est. $100,000 - $300,000Starting Price $50,000
Early Arms & Militaria
May 18, 2021 10:00 AM EDT
Buyer's Premium 28%

Lot 1130 Details

Description
...
These horns are featured and discussed in an article by John O. Luke on pages 40-42 of "Man at Arms" Magazine, volume 18, No. 3 from June, 1996. Three of these horns were originally acquired from the auction held at Eglinton Castle in Ayreshire, Scotland. This historic event was held for five consecutive days beginning on December 1, 1925. They are cased in a period lidded brown leather covered box measuring 19" x 16 1/2" x 4 3/4". The lid is embossed with gilt scrolls and florals. The fitted interior is of beige linen. Two of the horns bear the royal arms and one bears the arms of the Earls of Eglinton. The crests of the Earls are worked into the design of the horn and therefore must have been requested by Earl Archibald Montgomerie (1726-1796) when he commissioned them. At the advent of the French & Indian War Lieutenant Colonel Archibald Montgomerie raised a regiment of Scottish troops later to be designated the 77th Regiment of Foot. This regiment was in service with Montgomerie as its commanding officer from 1757 to 1763. Montgomerie arrived in Charleston, South Carolina with 1,465 men in 1757 and was quickly shipped to Philadelphia to join the command of Brigadier General John Forbes. In 1758, he and his 77th Regiment fought with George Washington and Henry Bouquet in the Fort Duquesne Expedition. They returned to Philadelphia for the winter before joining with General Amherst's troops in 1759 to lay siege to Fort Ticonderoga and Crown Point, which were both later abandoned by the French. At the end of 1759, Colonel Montgomerie proceeded to New York City with 600 troops of the 77th Regiment. By June 1, 1760, he was back in South Carolina fighting the Cherokee Indians at the Battle of Etchocy, with mixed results. After marching to the coast, he returned to New York. It is at that time that he probably commissioned these powder horns. The travels of Colonel Archibald Montgomerie, from one campaign to the other place him in New York in 1760. He probably procured these horns while there, as a souvenir of his adventures in America. He likely was aware that the war was ending and he would soon be returning to Scotland. (A) This is a beautiful and exceptionally detailed horn. It is a well decorated horn with a 3" silver buttcap engraved with the coat of arms granted specifically to the 11th Earl, Archibald Montgomerie. It shows a cartouche with motto "Garde/Bien" which translates to "Guard Well". The basic coat of arms, which was granted to the first Earl of Eglinton, displays a shield quartered with a fleur-de-lis, which has always belonged to the Montgomeries since their arrival to Britain with William the Conqueror. The family arms and Earl's crown are supported on each side by two griffins. Above the crown, a female figure is holding an anchor in her right hand and in her left hand the severed head of an Indian. This horn also has another slightly different crest engraved on the body depicting the unique arms of all of the Earls of Eglington. Later in its useful life, it had this silver buttcap and probably a mechanical powder measure added to it. The powder charger is now absent. This polychrome engraved horn depicts places including "Schnchdy", "Ston Rabby", "Rinars The Vermont Settler", "Wm. Johnson's", as well as many forts and other sundry locations of the period. Also engraved in a cartouche is "MAP OF THE / COUNTY OF / ALBANY DON / BY A SCALE / EIGHT MILE / TO A INCH / 1760". Length 13 - 1/4". CONDITION: Excellent with minor dings, there is a small indentation of worm damage 1/2" below the silver cap. All images are very clear. (B) Another beautifully detailed polychrome engraved powder horn. The 3" wooden butt plug, made of North American Eastern White Pine has remnants of brown and red paint. At the base of the plug is engraved "PLAN OF CITY AND HARBOUR OF NEW YORK ANNO 1760". It has a royal coat of arms above a panoply of arms, as well as a view of New York Harbor with several well-detailed ships. Engraved are cities and forts from New York to Lake Champlain and Fort Niagara. There are many well engraved buildings that signify different locations including "GERMAN FLATTS" and "PORIWTON", as well as the usual "FORT NIAGARA" and "ALBANY", with usual artistic spelling. Other images include villages, towns and a compass. This is an extremely well executed horn measuring 13 1/2" in length. CONDITION: Excellent, with a very nice light patina. The nicely carved vase and ring, darker recessed spout end of horn is in excellent condition. (C) This is another professionally engraved map horn. The 2 1/2" wooden butt plug, made of North American eastern white pine, has much of its original brown paint. This map horn is also engraved with a city view of New York and other locations terminating in "LAKE ONTERIO". Included are many of the colonial forts. It has the British royal coat of arms and is probably executed by the same hand who engraved horn (B). Also included are images of a floral basket, many architectural depictions of houses, churches, etc. Horn measures 11" in length. CONDITION: There are several 1" and smaller, thin hairline cracks at the edge of the lobe. The carved lobe has an old 1" chip. Otherwise, condition is very good. All images are very clear with very little distressing. The darker 3 3/8" recessed end of the horn has two rings and is in excellent condition. (D) A fourth horn is associated and possibly was the original fourth horn in this cased set. This powder horn is missing its wooden buttcap and has an added silver instrumental mouthpiece for use as a hunting horn. The butt end is 2 7/8". It has been cut down slightly and has a 1/2" abrasion at that end, obscuring one of the illustrated ships. The polychrome engraved horn sports the royal crest over a panoply of arms. The City and Harbor of New York are pictured at the base, as well as many of the towns and forts located on the way to Lake Champlain. This is a well executed horn with excellent engravings of houses, ships, a compass, flags, trees and a windmill. Horn measures 12" in length. CONDITION: Excellent as described. All images are clear and very attractive. INCLUDED WITH THIS LOT: Two notebooks, the first contains correspondence between John Luke and James Serven, as well as Herman Dean. It also includes an original catalog of the auction at Eglinton Castle, Ayshire on Tuesday, December 1, 1925. It contains prints, maps, newspaper articles, correspondence with various institutions, a 1944 newspaper article discussing the display of these powder horns by Herman P. Dean of Huntington, West Virginia and many typewritten documents regarding the 11th Earl and the Montgomerie family. The second notebook contains over 50 pages of old typewritten information regarding Archibald Montgomerie in the French & Indian War in America. Also included are Volumes I and II of the "Memorials of the Montgomeries Earls of Eglinton" by Edinburgh, 1859. There is also a copy of the article from Man at Arms Magazine which accompanies these historic horns. PROVENANCE: 11th Earl of Eglinton (Archibald Montgomerie), Collection of Eglinton Castle until December 3, 1925 when they were sold as lots 871-873 in Dowell's Ltd. Eglinton Castle sale, Purchased by Ellis & Smith in London and sold to Herman Dean, Estate of John Luke. DRG

Contacts

Dan Morphy Auctions
717.335.3435
2000 N Reading Road
Denver, PA 17517
USA
LiveAuctioneers Support
info@liveauctioneers.com
iphoneandroidPhone

Get notifications from your favorite auctioneers.

As Seen On
NBC
ABC
Today
Chicago Tribune
Architectural Digest
Shop With Confidence
Since 2002, LiveAuctioneers has made exceptional items available for safe purchase in secure online auctions.
TOP