Lot 45 View Catalog
applied roses on basket weave design, handled, 10" tall, minor petal flakes.Amphora also refers to art pottery produced in the Turn-Teplitz region of Bohemia during the Art Nouveau era. These wares are referred to by dealers and collectors as “Teplitz” from time to time as well. The first Amphora manufacturer was Reissner, Stellmacher & Kessel using a red “R St. K” mark beginning in 1892. Combining unusual shapes with striking glazes, this company is recognized as the best in Amphora although there were many other manufacturers of ceramic wares in the Turn-Teplitz area. R. St. K.’s work was introduced in the U.S. in 1893 at the Chicago World’s Fair where they were awarded “best in show." Their display at the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904 also earned high accolades. From 1905, when Stellmacher left to start his own business, through 1945, the firm operated as Amphora Werke Reissner. The Turn-Teplitz area of Bohemia drew on the rich tradition of fine ceramic wares made in nearby Dresden, Germany. In addition, The Imperial Technical School for Ceramics & Associated Applied Arts not only produced beautiful ceramic wares beginning in 1885, but trained many of the Amphora artists who worked in the area through 1917 when the school closed. Students learned complex clay manipulation that incorporated nature-inspired Art Nouveau themes as well as decorative arts and design.