384.8 cid L-head V8 engine, 90 HP, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, four-wheel mechanical brakes; wheelbase:136" Lincoln was Henry Martyn Leland’s second career with an automobile company, beginning after he left Cadillac in a dispute with General Motors president, Billy Durant. The “Master of Precision,” as Leland was known, was Cadillac’s founder, remaining its head after the sale to General Motors. Championing precision manufacture and interchangeable parts, Leland had changed the face of the motor industry. The Lincoln Motor Company was formed in 1917 to build Liberty aircraft engines for World War I. After the armistice, however, Lincoln’s government contracts were canceled and much of the workforce was idled. Leland’s solution to the problem was to re-enter a business he knew, the manufacture of luxury motor cars. The first Lincolns appeared in September of 1920, to an enthusiastic reception by the press. A slow start to production, partly a result of Leland’s obsession with perfection, compounded by a nationwide recession, soon put Lincoln into receivership. Henry Ford came to the rescue, purchasing Lincoln Motor Company for $8 million in 1922; however, Leland’s relief was short lived. Within four months he had a falling out with Ford and departed the automobile business for good. Lincoln became the flagship of Ford’s empire; its fortunes entrusted largely to Henry’s son, Edsel. Lincoln’s sales were never immense, but its prestige was an asset, particularly after Edsel’s fine eye for design did away with the perpendicular Leland-era bodies. Edsel looked to coachbuilders for inspiration, and enlisted such custom houses as Brunn, Judkins, Willoughby, Murphy and Locke to provide bodies, many of which appeared in Lincoln’s catalogs. This Locke-bodied Lincoln Phaeton was the last car to join David Uihlein’s notable collection. Mr. Uihlein had seen a similar car in Milwaukee in the 1930s and was struck by the styling of the body, particularly the close-coupled bustle at the rear. After an intensive search, he located this one and purchased it in 2006. Research indicates that it was owned by Governor Frank Fitzgerald of Michigan, and that Edsel Ford may have selected the exquisite two-tone paint scheme for the Auto Show circuit. It spent 21 years in the stewardship of Eugene Eldridge. Subsequent owners were David Rehor and Rick Carroll, and it was purchased at auction in 1995 by John Hazlitt, who sold it to Mr. Uihlein in 2006. Locke & Co., established in New York City in 1902, grew up with the automobile industry, adorning prestige chassis such as Duesenberg, Rolls-Royce, Packard and Pierce-Arrow. In 1926, an upstate factory was established in Rochester, New York. Locke bodies entered the Lincoln catalog in 1926, appearing in Roadster, Convertible, Town Car and Landaulette styles. Locke dual-cowl Sport Phaeton bodies of Style 163B were built for Lincoln from 1927 to 1929, 298 in all. This is the only one known to have been installed on a 1930 chassis, its number 275 indicating it was near the end of the run. The chassis dates from September or October of 1930, and various features like bumpers, lights, horns, steering column and luggage rack are of 1931 style. The twelve cars with succeeding chassis numbers were specially built for the 1930-31 Chicago Auto Salon, supporting this car’s status as an out-of-the-ordinary Lincoln. Painted in original colors of Powder Blue and silver with black fenders and chassis, this Lincoln has leather upholstery in Saddle Brown. It comes complete with original side curtains and rods, in their factory packaging, which were discovered upon removal of the front seat cushion. A well-restored car that runs and drives nicely, it will certainly give every satisfaction of Full Classic ownership to the new caretaker.