Chair, from the Purkersdorf Sanatorium, Vienna, model no. 322, 1904-1905
Manufactured by J. & J. Kohn, Vienna, Austria; bent beech wood, beech wood, plywood, leather
39 in. (99 cm) high
Purkersdorf Sanatorium, Vienna, Austria; Galerie bei der Albertina, Vienna, Austria
Dorothee Muller, Klassiker des Modernen Mobeldesign: Otto Wagner-Adolf Loos-Josef Hoffmann-Koloman Moser, Munich, 1980, p. 105; Vera J. Behal, Mobel des Jugendstils, Munich, 1981, p. 139; Simon Jervis, Furniture of About 1900 From Austria and Hungary in The Victoria & Albert Museum, London, 1986, pp. 32 -33; Werner J. Schweiger, Wiener Werkstätte, Design in Vienna, 1903-1932, London, 1990, p. 153; Peter Noever, ed., Josef Hoffmann Designs, exh. cat., Austrian Museum of Applied Arts, Vienna, 1992, p. 40; Gabriele Fahr-Becker, Weiner Werkstätte 1903-1932, Cologne, 2003, pp. 24-27
Praising Josef Hoffmann for his design of the 14th Secession Exhibition, Die Kunst journalist Bertha Zuckerkandl recommended him to her brother-in-law, Dr.Viktor Zuckerkandl, then director of the Purkersdorf Sanatorium. As a result, Hoffmann was commisioned to design the facility. Working with Koloman Moser, the project was representative of the recently formed Wiener Werkstätte. This model was originally designed for the first floor dining room of the Sanatorium at Purkersdorf. Although well recieved critically, the model did not remain in the J. & J. Kohn product line.