We are very pleased to offer this gorgeous set of (8) 1920s to mid-1930s brilliant hand painted floral center 8.25" plates from the skilled artisans at the Porcelain Factory Tirschenreuth, Bavaria, Germany. These plates are each finished in different rich enamel hues, constituting a magnificent rainbow display. The hand painted sprays are classic precise German workmanship, and this complete set carries the post-1918 PT shield & crown + Germany. History records that the Tirschenreuth PT crown & shield Bavaria stamp was used from ca. 1903, but the addition of Germany came after WW I. The total weight of the plate set is 5 pds 8 oz. Research consulted: Marks on German, Bohemian and Austrian Porcelain 1710 to the Present / by Robert Rontgen; Directory of European Porcelain / by Ludwig Danckert; Bohemian Decorated Porcelain / by Dr. James D Henderson; Marks & Monograms on European and Oriental Pottery & Porcelain (14th Revised Edition) / by Wm. Chaffers......................
The china factory Heinrich Eichhorn of Tirschenreuth, Bavaria was chartered in the year 1833, licensed for building a china manufacturing factory. The production started in 1838, and over the years, the ownership graduated from August Bauscher (later co-founder of Bauscher / Weiden), to the stewardship of Karl G. Mezger. Taking a partner In 1891, the company traded under the name Muther & Mezger OHG / Porzellanfabrik Tirschenreuth until being taken over by Lorenz Hutschenreuther AG from Selb, Bavaria in late 1927. The china factory Tirschenreuth was carried on from 1927 as a subsidiary of Hutschenreuther, surviving WW II, until economic conditions forced closure of the factory in 1994.
Little is known of Tirschenreuth before the 13th century, when the town was designated a possession of the Cistercian Abbey of Waldsassen. The monks of Waldsassen were in charge of a large basilica church and Tirschenreuth provided the monks with taxes and tithes. Because the Holy Roman Empire was so politically scattered, Waldsassen remained an independent protectorate for several centuries. This was common during the middle Ages, when small towns were controlled either by established nobles or by appointed clergy.
Until the 19th century, the Holy Roman Empire was a disordered league of German-speaking principalities and city-states, which made Central Europe vulnerable to attack and manipulation. As the Empire solidified and became the German Confederation, Tirschenreuth was absorbed and became an imperial possession. This occurred early in the unification process, in 1803. The traditionally Catholic legal code that ruled Tirschenreuth was secularized. Although Tirschenreuth was small, it became a notable industrial village, producing a variety of products. Tirschenreuth's most notable export was porcelain, and the town's unique porcelain wares remain valuable today.