Lot 982 View Catalog
Important American Rococo Revival Laminated Rosewood Sofa, in the pattern commonly referred to as "Henry Clay", attributed to John Henry Belter, New York, mid-19th century, h. 44", l. 81", d. 32". THE "HENRY CLAY" PARLOR SUITE The following five lots of furniture are being deaccessioned from "Ashland," The Estate of Henry Clay, Lexington, Kentucky. It consists of a group of parlor furniture attributed to the workshop of John Henry Belter, New York. The " Henry Clay" pattern of the Belter Parlor furniture got its name because of this set, which had long been at "Ashland" the home of Henry Clay. This is the reference set which established the "Henry Clay" pattern name. In the mid-20th century, scholars and collectors began assigning pattern names to many of the more popular designs of both Meeks and Belter parlor furniture. These pattern names were generally associated to either an important historic home or prominant individual. The Rosalie pattern of Belter furniture for instance, got its name because that particular pattern is original to Rosalie Plantation in Natchez, Mississippi. Stanton Hall, Tuthill King and Henry Ford are other patterns to name a few. Ashland has chosen to deaccession seven pieces from this group, consisting of a sofa, a meridienne, an armchair, and two pairs of side chairs. A third pair of side chairs will remain at Ashland. Provenance: This group of Belter parlor furniture was owned by Colonel William Cassius Goodloe. Colonel Goodloe served as chairman of the national committee of the Republican Party and was later appointed Minister to Belgium by Prsident Hayes. Goodloe lived at the now Historic "Loudoun House," one of the largest and finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in Kentucky. Goodloe's daughter married into the Henry Clay family and her grandchildren donated this set to Ashland in the 1950's.
|Estimate||$5,000 – $8,000|