This magnificent dollhouse was discovered in an antique shop in Puebla, Mexico in the spring of 1977 and was brought the 3,000 miles to the museum by van. Although the facade of the house has some Moorish features, it is French in flavor, a reflection of many full sized mansions in Puebla and Mexico City built over the years after the arrival of the troops of Napolean III in1862. The European feeling was reinforced by the reign of Maximillian and Carlotta. It is believed that the small mansion c. 1890 is a copy of a house which once stood in Puebla, but unfortunately its history before 1922 is shrouded in mystery. In that year it was wired and redecorated, giving the interior some feeling of the twenties. The Paige automobile in the driveway is, along with a pair of early radio towers, from this period. The house which came fully furnished, contains a drawing room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom, bath, music room, and a chapel. A section of the removeable facade covers each of these. This miniature mansion and its exterior balastrades, formal fencing, stairwells and base are painted in a spft gray green with trim accented in dove gray. Linen awnings with pinstripes in red soften the facade. The overall effect of high Victorian rennaissance revival architecture blends with the dramatic addition of the 20's period faux wrought iron filigree railings and scroll work to create a dramatic play of light and shadow across the facade. The interiors are lavishly furnished in primarily fruitwood furniture. Of particular note is the carved master bedroom suite done in the European style set against a French style panel wall apaper in pale pistachio green and ivory. Typical of the ninties, the house has German marble top fruitwood furniture made by Gebruder Schneegaas. Lighting is achieved with an elegant array of softmetal gilded ring form chandeliers with eleborate beadwork fringe. The house is generously accessorized with milk glass, softmetal and porcelain decorative art objects. The chapel is of special note with its architectural details and rich rose colored wallpaper. The imaginative roof garden with aviary, gazebo, various bird houses, 4 awninged art gallery lends tremendous animation to the facade as does the working exterior enclosed elevator that passes up through the 3 storey filigree stairwell. The formal front entrance is accented with a faux painted tile terrace in rich red and ivory surrounded by a high post and metal railed fence with gate leading into a garden with potted plants on long wood benches. The facade is a facinating melding of European 19th century architectural traditions. The contrast of strong archeed windows and front entrance with the triangular pediments on second floor, the rectilinear coining on first floor in contrast with colonaded second floor and the wooden ballustraded third floor in contrast with front wire gate and fencing add to the theatrical effect of this glorious facade. The house comes complete with 6 dolls dating from 1890-1920
7.5' h. x 6' w.