36-1/2" barrel length. .44 bore. John Shuler was one of the more famous gun makers in Pennsylvania. John Shuler Sr. died in 1827/28 and one of the guns was found at Fort Ticonderoga. His son, John Shuler Jr., opened a shop in Liverpool in Perry County in 1832. This rifle is marked Liverpool, PA on top barrel flat so it was manufactured by John Shuler Jr. some time after 1832. Extremely high quality PA fullstock long rifle has the following features: full octagon barrel (makers stamped), single leaf sporting rear sight, with light barrel engraving forward of rear sight, small engraved dove tail knife blade front sight, full tiger striped maple stock. Barrel is attached with four wedges surrounded by decorated silver escutcheons (8 total with one missing).Lightly engraved brass forend tip, cleaning rod is retained by three brass thimbles, barrel is a dark chocolate brown, forend has a decorative brass palm plate, features double set triggers, brass guard and buttplate with engraved attached heel plate. Left side of stock has seven German nickel decorative inlays with small cheek piece, right side of stock has three decorative German nickel inlays with a beautiful engraved brass patch box. Engraved lock was manufactured by Tryon of Philadelphia. Hammer is engraved. Currently a percussion but was converted from flintlock at one time. This rifle would have been manufactured just prior to the new percussion system. Converted either early in its life or built as a percussion using some flintlock parts. Very strong rifle bore. Set trigger works perfectly. There is a 3/4" piece of wood missing at top of lock behind nipple with a repair. Top wrist has a German nickel thumb pad. Extremely handsome Perry County original PA rifle by one of its premier makers and one of its most famous gunsmith families.