A French gilt brass grande sonnerie striking carriage clock with push-button repeat and alarm Retailed by Shreve, Crump and Low, Boston, late 19th century The eight-day two train movement striking the hour on the larger of two gongs followed by ting-tang notation for the relevant quarter every fifteen minutes, with platform lever escapement, alarm sounding on the smaller gong and numbered 1774 to backplate, the circular cream enamel dial with retailer s signature SHREVE, CRUMP & LOW, BOSTON to the rosette decorated centre within ornate Roman numeral cartouche chapter ring and Arabic five minutes to outer track, set into fine foliate scroll engraved gilt frosted mask incorporating subsidiary alarm setting dial to lower margin, the bevel-glazed gilt case with hinged foliate cast carrying handle and oval aperture to the ogee and egg-and-dart moulded top over laurel cast bezels for the front and side glasses, on leaf cast skirt base with cartouche cast mount to apron and fine scroll feet, 17cm (6.75ins) high excluding handle. The firm of Shreve, Crump and Low can be traced back John McFarlane who set up business as a silversmith and watchmaker in Boston in 1796. The current incarnation of the business was formed in 1869 by a merger and was required to relocate to new premises (built in the Italianate style) at 225 Washington Street after great Boston fire in 1872. The firm relocated again in 1891 and expanded to incorporate departments selling antiquities, timepieces, linen and stationary alongside jewellery, objects of virtue and silverware. In 1929 the business moved again, this time into a fashionable Art Deco building in Boylston Street where they remained until 2012 before finally relocating to 39 Newbury Street from where they still trade today.