Two silver plaques to Gao Wenming from the 20th century. One plaque is set on a dark wood standing frame. The frame is carved at the top with a bat. The silver plaque is stamped with a floral border and inscribed with characters and a date of 1930. The other plaque is set on a wooden standing frame carved with chilong. The silver plaque is stamped with bamboo and has an inscription in the upper left hand corner.
Dimensions for the first plaque are 6 7/8 inches wide by 5 1/4 inches high. The wooden frame is 8 inches wide by 8 5/8 inches high. Dimensions for the second plaque are 7 1/8 inches wide by 8 3/8 inches high. Frame is 7 5/8 inches wide by 10 7/8 inches high. All measurements are approximate.
Provenance: From The Crawford Collection, exhibited in The Public Library and Art Museum in London, Ontario from 1960s to 1980s. Dr. Wallace Crawford (Gao Wenming) was a Canadian doctor specializing in leprosy. A devout Christian, he was sent by a Canadian Methodist church to China in 1907 as a medical missionary.
In 1930, Dr. Crawford was associated with the West China Union Medical University and established the first Leper Hospital in southwest China. While in China, he built seven hospitals and one other institution. He received several medals and decorations from the Chinese government for his work. He remained in China for 43 years until he was forced to leave in 1950.
High resolution images can be found at: https://file.ac/JBhwU0Imfqk/