Original watercolor of St. Michaels Church at the intersection of Broad and Meeting Streets by Charleston regional artist Ed Emerson. A view of St. Michaels Church from Broad Street, Charleston. A popular local artist, known for his prints of architectural views in Charleston. His originals are very hard to find. Professionally framed and matted under non glare glass. In frame 18"x21"x1". PROVENANCE: The Estate of a Charleston, South Carolina Art Dealer / Gallery Owner. St. Michael’s Church is the oldest church edifice in the City of Charleston, standing on the site of the first Anglican Church built south of Virginia. In the 1680’s a small wooden church, the first in the new town of Charles Town, was built on this spot for the families of the Church of England, and named St. Philip’s. By 1727, the town had grown too large for the small church and a more spacious one was built of brick on Church Street, later destroyed by fire in 1835.By 1751, St. Philip’s had again proved too small for the increasing population, and another church as authorized by the General Assembly of the Province, to be built on the old site and to be known as St. Michael’s. The cornerstone was laid in 1752 and in 1761 the church was opened for services. Except for the addition of the sacristy in 1883 on the southeast corner, the structure of the building has been little changed.