Hitchcock-style wooden rocking chair used in the White House by Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson. The rocking chair bears a brass plaque which reads: The White House / JFK „ LJ / Main. Black painted maple frame, rails, arms, back, crest and legs, with gold stenciled fruit motif on the crest and gold painted detail on legs and rails. Seat is natural warm brown of wood.
This chair was manufactured by Nichols & Stone and is referred to as the company's Boston Rocker. Nichols & Stone Gardner, Massachusetts is burnt into the underside of the chair seat, and also appears on a yellow label on the affixed under the seat.
It has been well-documented that President Kennedy suffered from severe back problems and that he found rocking chairs to be most comfort when sitting. George Szabo, full-time White House staff member and traveling press photographer from 1956 to 1980, acquired this chair directly from the White House. According to Mr. Szabo, this chair was often loaded on the Air Force One for trips and also taken along for the President's use at Camp David. Following President Kennedy's assassination, this rocking chair remained in the White House and was then used by President Lyndon Baines Johnson.
Damages resulting from extensive use and travel have been restored. Chair includes the recent addition of off-white cushions, removable cushions.
The White House; George Szabo; Private Collection