This is an excellent original Sioux Native American Indian gunstock war club showing a "knife blade" weapon end and dating to circa 1870-1880. The war club has been documented and photographed in two publications. The piece features a solid wood carved haft adorned with artful high relief carvings, incised lines and solid brass trade tacks in a wonderful pattern. The haft has a forged metal bowie like knife blade inset with the tang being trade canvas wrapped and is adhered to the shaft with two iron rivets. The piece shows such a rich and authentic patina and even shows a very early repair most likely done by the original owner with three iron nails tacking the split into place. This is truly a wonderful example of an authentic high plains weapons of the Indian Wars Period, with exceptional craftsmanship and a nice patina. The piece was said to have originaly been acquired circa 1910 by noted early collector Bill Edwards at Rosebud, South Dakota (home to The Battle of Rosebud, which proceeded The Battle of the Little Bighorn). The piece was later sold to Albert Miller, another renowned collector. Half of Miller's collection, such as this war club, were sold to other private collectors and the other half was donated to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The museum is were many fine items from the Edwards and Miller's collection can still be found on display. This war club was later acquired by collector, scholar, and author Fred Crissman. This piece was photographed in the book, "Plains Art: A Study of Artifacts of the Central plains" by F.C. Crissman on page 15. It has also been photographed and described in the upcoming book "Rare American Indian Weapons" by Mark Francis due out in 2018. Ex-collections of Edwards/Miller/Crissman/Mark Francis. Measures 8.76" x 29.5".