PILLAR-MOLDED MOLASSES PITCHER, colorless lead glass, cone form with eight pronounced ribs, an applied convex neck ring, and an applied hollow handle, polished pontil mark, original Britannia hinged top. Attributed to the Pittsburgh area, probably M'Kee & Brother(s). 1850-1870. 9 1/2" HOA, 7 1/4" to collar, 4 3/4" DOA base.
Sizeable interior bruise originating from an exterior impact, some solder repair to the lid, minor overall wear.
Provenance: From the Donald Hughes estate collection, Greenville, VA.
Catalog note: The M'Kee & Brother(s) catalogs of 1859/60 and 1864 illustrate nearly identical examples. That were referred to as "Cone Pillar Molasses Pitchers." The M'Kee pitchers came with tin or Britannia tops.