An original Imperial Russian plate made to an order. The plate depicts officers and soldiers of the Russian Imperial Navy and coastal artillery in various types of uniforms from the period of 1830s-1840s. All figures depicted except one (far right) are officers. The far right figure is a non-commissioned officer with patches on his left sleeve for excellent service and galloons on his collar and cuffs of his uniform. Perhaps the scene depicts fortifications of the Baltic - Kronstadt and Sveaborg. The central medallion is complemented by a fleet theme motif an anchor and floral ornament at the rim. The period of its manufacture can be determined with accuracy by the maker’s marking of the Kornilov Brothers Mfg, which was used from 1843 to 1860.
Medium and technique: Porcelain, underglaze and over glaze painting, gilding. Plate diameter: 9 ¾ in., 25 cm. Condition: Excellent.
Footnote: The Kornilov Brothers Mfg. in St. Petersburg was founded in 1835and became a Russian miracle, having won the high reputation of the best private porcelain enterprises in Russia. In 1843 the factory became the supplier of the Imperial Court. The Kornilovs had their own store In Paris and warehouses. In America and Canada Tiffany was engaged in selling Kornilov porcelain.