“6 Months Ground Rent” for “Use of No.1 Gram. Colored School” In 1939 the School Became Morgan State College
April 1, 1877-Dated, Partly-Printed Document Signed, “L. F. Morgan”, as President, “Use of No.1 Gram. Colored School” COMMISSIONERS OF PUBLIC SCHOOLS, Reciept, in 1939 the School Became Morgan State College, Baltimore, Maryland, Choice Very Fine.
Reverend Lyttleton Frye Morgan was the first chairman of the board of trustees of Morgan State University, which was renamed in his honor (it was founded as the Centenary Biblical Institute). An original Partly-Printed Document, 8.5” x 3.5”, 1 page, being a printed signed receipt for “6 Months Ground Rent”, for the “Use of No. 1 Gram. Colored School”. The 6 month rent was $300. Reverend Morgan signs in receipt of the payment. In November of 1867, the Centenary Biblical Institute was chartered with Reverend Dr. Lyttleton Frye Morgan as the chairman. The school was started in the basement of Sharp Street Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1880, Dr. and Mrs. John Goucher donated a lot of land at Edmondson and Fulton Avenues where a new school was built. The name was changed to Morgan Collage in 1890. In 1939 the school became Morgan State College, an historically Black college. Ex: Russ & Jane Sears Baltimore, Maryland Collection.
Reverend Lyttleton Morgan was the first chairman of the board of trustees of Morgan State University, which was renamed in his honor (it was founded as the Centenary Biblical Institute).
Rev. Morgan was "station-preacher" meaning that he generally traveled to different churches to preach the Gospel, without having a church of his own. He had the distinction of having occupied the pulpit of every prominent church in the Baltimore Methodist Episcopal Conference. Morgan also served as chaplain to the United States House of Representatives from 1851 to 1852. He was married to Susan Rigby Dallam Morgan, a poet of the Poe era.
Morgan College, in Baltimore, used to be the Centenary Biblical Institute of the Methodist Episcopal, but was renamed in his honor in 1890. In 1939 the School Became Morgan State College, Baltimore, Maryland.