1886 “St. Elizabeth’s Colored Orphan Asylum” Baltimore
May 4, 1886-Dated, Manuscript Document, Receipt of payment of $83.33 to “St. Elizabeth’s Colored Orphan Asylum” Baltimore, Maryland, Extremely Fine.
St. Elizabeth’s Home for Colored Infants and Children (1881-1960). An original Manuscript Document Signed, 8.25” x 4.5”, 1 page. Being a receipt of payment of $83.33 to “St. Elizabeth’s Colored Orphan Asylum”. This payment was for “the care & maintenance of twenty children for the Month of April”. Payment was received, “Elizabeth’s Colored Orphans Asylum / Mother Monica B Evan” only seven years after its founding. Docket on reverse. Ex: Russ & Jane Sears Baltimore, Maryland Collection.
From 1778 to 1856, twelve orphanages were founded in Baltimore, seven Protestant and six Catholic. Almost twice as many institutions were established between 1860 and 1910 and, by 1910, Baltimore had a total of 28 orphanages.
Orphanages and religious homes for children in the late 19th century included the St. Mary's Industrial School, St. Elizabeth's for African American infants, the Samuel Ready School, and the Dolan House.