This is an exceedingly rare original authentic Eastern Woodlands Ball Head War Club dating to circa 1780-1800 and from the John Douglas Collection. The war club is of the utmost craftsmanship showing a truly artistic appearance with a prominent “S” curve design with large spherical round burl root ball head and unusual median ridge that runs the entirety of the club which is carved from one solid piece of wood. The war club shows a very distinct curved outer edge which at each point has a pierced early drilled / carved hole (one above and below the ball head, two at the center of the handle on the inside edge and two at the base of the flared or stepped handle) which would have held a drop of coup feathers and / or a beaded drop. The war club shows an old museum collection tag / sticker on the right side of the piece near the ball head that is hand written, “Rare 1780 To 1800 Ball – War Club. From The John Douglas Collection in Baraboo, Wisc.” The tag appears to be of an older age showing a slight aging. The end of the round root ball war club head shows a black pigment mineral painted spot or figure which is worn due to use and age. The gripping area of the handle shows a loss to the finish due to years of use. The entire tomahawk war club shows the correct rich patina indicative of its authentic early age. This is truly one of the more artistic and visually appealing ball head war clubs ever offered for sale. The John Douglas collection was known to have various Native American Indian weapons and Neolithic ancient stone artifacts such as the Slate Birdstone sold by Tony Putty Artifacts in their 1/10/2015 sale for over $5,000. Provenance: The piece was purchased many decades ago by noted Texas Native American Indian weapons collector Williamson and has been consigned by his son after his passing. In the opinion of North American Auction Co. this “S” Curve Ball Head War club from the Eastern Woodlands Indians should be considered one of the more elaborate of designs ever offered for sale and truly a fine authentic original believed to date from circa 1780-1800 as the museum tag correctly suggest. The war club measures 8.25" x 22.5".