1857 is the year the George Lawrence Company was founded in Portland Oregon. The George Lawrence Company became the largest producer of saddles in the Northwest. Many were shippedfrom the West Coast to the gold strike area in Alaska and the Yukon Territory. It was a saddlery and harness shop made famous by also producing exquisite leather goods such as handgun holsters, fishing creels, cartridgebelts, slings, scabbards, etc. The company evolved into a wholesaler and supplier of auto parts, shoe repair and shoe store supplies, hat blocking equipment, fishing, and hunting supplies. The Company ceasedoperations in 1985 when family members retired, and the historic 1/4-block, 4-story brick building that George Lawrence built in 1903 in downtown Portland was sold. This saddle in particular serves as fantastic example of Lawrence quality, showing exceptional hand tooling, beautiful materials; light caramel colored leather, brass hardware, and double-stacked scalloped leather conchos. The saddle shows very good condition overall, with rich, supple leather, and minimal matting to the undercarriage. The saddle is provided to us by renowned Bozeman, Montana Western collector, Bud Chapman. The saddle utilizes a 13" seat.