Included in this lot for your consideration is a set of three Oneida Community, S. Newhouse trap, including 2 number 4's, and an 8. The renowned Newhouse traps are the brainchild of Sewell Newhouse, and the Oneida Community. Sewell was the son of a blacksmith, and at 17, he created his first trap out of scrap metal from his fathers workshop. Over the next 20 years, Newhouse continued to craft steel forged traps on freelance. In 1849, Newhouse was approached by the Oneida Community leader - John Humphrey Noyes, who had just launched his communal living venture on the banks of Oneida Creek, just a few miles from Kenwood, New York. The commune was based on the idea that a perfect life could only be achieved if the people sacrificed everything to the communities best interest. By 1855, the demand for Newhouse traps had grown to such an extent that the Oneida Community leaders decided to begin manufacturing on a production scale, making Newhouse traps a major business dealing in the community. All of the traps are a toothless, double spring design, and show a variation of "S. Newhouse - Oneida Community, N.Y. - PAT. Sept. 26, 1911 - No. 8/4" in stamped lettering on the pan. One of the spring arms is stamped "S. Newhouse - Oneida Community - N.Y.". Oneida sold the trap making division in 1925 to Animal Trap Company, dating the traps between 1911 and 1925. The number 8 measures 17" long, with a 2 1/2" pan.