Union Recruiting Banner, "Army of Georgia. Soldiers Wanted." with Federal Eagle emblem to center of cloth banner. Housed under glass in a wooden frame with gilt wood rabbet edge. Banner - 21 3/4" H x 40 3/4" W. Sight - 25" H x 44 1/4" W. Framed - 28" H x 47" W. Circa 1864. Provenance: Private Ringgold, Georgia collection; among items purchased in the 1960's from the old location of the A. P. Stewart Chapter of the UDC (United Daughters of the Confederacy), formerly the Nathan Bedford Forrest UCV (United Confederate Veterans) home, St. Elmo, Chattanooga, TN. Note: In November 1864, General Sherman created the Army of Georgia from the remaining XIV and XX Corps of the Army of the Cumberland. This army was commanded under Major General Henry Warner Slocum and served as one of Sherman's wings in the March to the Sea. (Additional high-resolution photos are available at www.caseantiques.com.)
Overall good condition with foxing spots, stains, largest 2 1/8" x 1 1/2", tears, largest 1/2", to be expected from age and manner of use. Areas of loss, 2 1/4" x 1 3/4" to top left of eagle's wing and 1 1/2" x 1 5/8" area top left corner of banner. Top and left edges appear to be slightly cut down. Printed lettering and emblem in very good condition.