Historic Antique Devon Farms Display Cabinet / Bookcase | Provenance: From Sarah Hunter Hicks Green of Devon Farm | Sarah Hunter Hicks Green, the only child of Edward Dickson Hicks IV and W. Hunter Giers, inherited Devon Farm, a former plantation on the edge of Belle Meade, which had been in her family since her ancestor John Davis settled there in the 18th century. John Davis was an original settler of Nashville, Tennessee, serving as an officer of the militia of Davidson county, June 22, 1794. Devon Farm is a historic farm in Nashville, Tennessee, USA. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since August 28, 1974. History: The property was established as a 6,955-acre land grant by John Davis, a surveyor from North Carolina, in the 1790s. Davis built a red brick farmhouse. It was subsequently inherited by his daughter Fannie and his son-in-law, Morris Harding, in 1816. The couple lived on the farm for the next five decades, including during the course of the American Civil War. By 1865, the farm was inherited by Fannie Davis Harding's nephew, Edward Dickson Hicks II. Hicks imported Devon cattle from England, and he renamed the farm Devon Farm. It was later inherited by Edward Dickson Hicks III, who lived there with his wife Harriet Cockrill, the granddaughter of Mark R. Cockrill. By 1946, the farm was inherited by their son, Edward Dickson Hicks IV.