Six Edwardian and Later Specialty Walking Sticks
Scent-Bottle Walking Stick, with "T" handle formed of two paneled ruby glass scent bottles set end-to-end, with brass caps and mount, malacca shaft and horn tip, l. 35-1/2".
Corkscrew Walking Stick, with Chinese export silver crop handle, by Wang Hing of Canton and Shanghai, decorated with a dragon and unscrewing to reveal a corkscrew, with a painted bamboo shaft and pewter tip, l. 36".
Pyx Walking Stick, with sterling silver viaticum-type pyx pommel handle, hallmarked London, 1977, with rope-twist rim and the lid engraved with the Agnus Dei, unscrewing to reveal a compartment with small stoppered glass chalice, the underside inscribed "In Memory of Thomas Estlin Pritchard Vicar 1943-1954", with malacca shaft and horn tip, l. 35".
Bird Call Walking Stick, with brass four-note (A, G, F, E) sliding tube whistle, with ebonized wood shaft and horn tip, l. 36".
Marian Devotional Walking Stick, with brass straight handle engraved with Marian monogram and swiveling to reveal a figure of the Madonna and unscrewing to reveal a vial for holy water, with striped part-ebonized shaft and horn tip, l. 35-3/4".
Tippler's Walking Stick, with copper pommel handle unscrewing to reveal a small wine glass, and lower ferrule unscrewing to reveal a glass wine vial with cork stopper, with malacca shaft and horn tip, l. 35".
Provenance: Estate of John Elliot Bradshaw, Houston, Texas.
Notes: The pyx walking stick here was made shortly after the death of Fr. Thomas Estlin Prichard (1910-1975) and in his memory as noted, presumably by the congregation at Boxley where he served as Vicar from 1943 to 1954; he was serving as Archdeacon of Maidstone at the time of his death.