Good Victorian Regimental Sterling Silver Tureen
hallmarked London, 1861-1862, by Stephen Smith & William Nicholson, bulbous oval form, the gadrooned rim quartered by leafy-mantled shells and palmettes, with addorsed acanthus-mounted handles and raised on four acanthus-crested scroll feet, the fitted, domed lid with wide gadrooned band and addorsed acanthus-crested ring handle, the lid and body engraved with the badge of the 24th Regiment of Foot.
h. 11", l. 17-3/4", w. 12"; 128.46 t. oz.
Notes: In 1689, Sir Edward Deering recruited a line infantry from Welsh and English border counties Monmouthshire, Breknockshire and Herefordshire to support the claim of William III in Ireland (a conflict later known as the Williamite/Jacobite War in Ireland). As was the custom, the regiment was styled with the name of its successive colonels until 1751, when it was named the 24th Regiment of Foot (having been ranked 24th in precedence four years earlier). They served in the American Revolutionary War, surrendering to Horatio Gates in 1777, and later fought in the Zulu, Second Boer and both World Wars. The Regiment's devices of a sphinx and the word "Egypt" were awarded in July 1802 as a Battle Honor for their having been one of the 33 regiments which defeated Napoleon in Egypt in 1801. In 1881, in honor of its origins, the regiment was again renamed to the South Wales Borderers, which it remains today.