(Italian/Murano, b. 1948)
sculpted Calcedonia glass
composed of blue glass with yellow and red striations, and a tan and black neck, on a black glass base retaining the original labels, along with an engraved signature on the base.
h. 25-3/4", w. 8", d. 4-1/2"
Notes: The production of Calcedonia glass is a difficult technique which incorporates a precise amount of silver nitrate to produce the luminous, yet ultimately uncontrollable, striations of color. It was originally created in the mid-15th century in Murano, Italy; the technique was forgotten until the 19th century when it was briefly revived by the glass master Lorenzo Radi (1803-1874). In the mid-70s, Loredano Rosin began to work with Calcedonia glass, believing the technique enhanced the smooth, fluid forms of the hand-sculpted glass. He trained his younger brother Dino in this difficult technique and, after Loredano's death in 1993, Dino took over much of this work, at which he soon excelled. Dino Rosin began his glass-making apprenticeship at the age of twelve, before joining the studio of his elder brothers in 1963. The resulting works, as exemplified by the delicate violin presented here, reveal the serendipitous nature of this technique with its streaks of unexpected colors.