Harding Black (1912-2004), Striped bowl, 1958, glazed ceramic, 2.5 x 10.5"
A ceramist, sculptor, painter, bricklayer, teacher, Black graduated from Brackenridge High School and attended San Antonio Junior College (1929-30). In 1933, Black was taught by Rudolph Staffel to make wheel-thrown pottery and also began to teach children's ceramic classes at the Witte. Black directed ceramic installation in a San Antonio reconstruction project sponsored by the National Youth Administration and the Works Progress Administration art program. In 1955 he retired from teaching and devoted his time to ceramics. Black became a well-known ceramist from his research, innovations, and writings in the field. Black's collection and archive is housed at Baylor University. Harding Black's work with clay serves an an important bridge between early Texas and mid-century pottery.