×
Weekly Auctions of Exceptional Items
0 selections
Log In
0 selections
lots of lots
Lot 0083
Pair of Sevres Porcelain Urns France 1890. In 1738, the Manufacture de Vincennes was founded, thanks to the support of Louis XV and Madame de Pompadour, in order to compete with the manufactories at Chantilly and Meissen. In 1756, the manufactury was moved to a building in Sevres, built at the initiative of Madame de Pompadour, near her cha¢teau. 130 metres long and four stories high, the building was erected between 1753 and 1756 by the architect Laurent Lindet on the site of a farm called "de la Guyarde." There was a central pavilion surmounted by a pediment with a clock from the old royal glass-makers on the fourth level, with two long wings terminating in corner pavilions at each end. In front of the pavilion was a "public" courtyard, enclosed by a wrought iron fence. This front area was decorated twice a month in order to hold parties for visitors. The ground floor of the building contained clay reserves, books and storerooms of raw materials. The first floor contained the workshops of the moulders, plasterers, sculptors, engravers and the ovens. On the second floor were the sculptors, turners, repairers and packers. Finally, the painters, gilders and makers of animals and figures worked in the loft Jean-Claude Chambellan Duplessis served as artistic director of the Vincennes porcelain manufactory and its successor at sevres from 1748 to his death in 1774. The manufactory was brought under the Crown in 1759. Measure 29 in h x 9 in w. Very good condition

Condition

Good condition.

Buyer's Premium

  • 25%

Pair of Sevres Porcelain Urns

Estimate $18,000 - $22,000Sep 21, 2018