(Italian/Florence, 1848-ca. 1893)
"La Serenata", 1886
pair of carved marble sculptures
each signed, localized "Firenze", and dated on base, presented on tripartite green marble columnar plinths with carved floral design
h. 42", w. 19", d. 13" and h. 40", w. 16", d. 11", respectively, pedestal h. 42"
Notes: Cesare Lapini was one of the most accomplished and influential sculptors working in Florence in the mid to late 19th century. Through his profitable Galleria Lapini, he produced exquisitely detailed allegorical, religious and historical sculptures, which were particularly appealing to the wealthy American and British tourists. He eventually expanded his gallery to a workshop where he offered the works of his fellow sculptors, such as Augusto Passaglia (1838-1918). Lapini's considerable skill is evident in the two works presented here, especially with the attention to detail and the careful delineation of the various textures of flesh, cloth and stone.