Pair of Finn Juhl Teak NV-53 Lounge Chairs. The Niels Vodder Danish teak chairs retain the original wool upholstery and horsehair stuffing. Signed with branded manufacturer's mark to underside of each chair: Niels Vodder Cabinetmaker Copenhagen Denmark Design: Finn Juhl. One chair also retains the original attached old cloth certification label with the Georg Jensen Inc. 667 Fifth Ave., New York, NY address. Georg Jensen opened a large two-story luxury goods showroom on 5th Avenue in 1924 and remained there until the 1970's when the store moved to Madison Avenue. Georg Jensen commissioned Finn Juhl to redesign the 5th Avenue NY showroom in 1954. Acquired from the New York estate of poet and writer Pierre Andre Gazarian (1932-2017). A signed copy of a book of poetry by Pierre Gazarian will be included with the chairs. Measures 29 inches high, 28 inches wide, 30.5 inches deep. In good condition. For Hi Res images of the chairs, simply cut and paste the below link into your web browser. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eprcnygoopuzefz/AABOU31Hex__B878Nz33zOu9a?dl=0
Finn Juhl (1912-1989) was a pioneering designer, famed for his organic, sculptural style, as well as a key proponent of bringing mid-century Scandinavian design to the wider world market. Born in Frederiksberg, Denmark in 1912, Juhl's father was a textile wholesaler who insisted that his son pursue architecture, rather than studying art history, which was his real passion as a young man. In 1930, he enrolled in the Royal Danish Academy of Art's School of Architecture in Copenhagan. After graduating in 1934, Juhl went on to work for architect Vilhelm Lauritzen for eleven years. During this time, monumental shifts were taking place in architectural practice and theory; at the time, historicism was still the predominant style, with a surge of Neoclassism beginning around 1910. By the mid-1930s, functionalism had emerged as both a practical and aesthetic style to meet the changing needs of a rapidly modernizing society. Innovative materials and building methods were developed, creating an entirely new architectural language. Juhl worked on The Radio House (Radiohuset) in Copenhagan with Lauritzen, the headquarters of the national Danish broadcast company. Completed in 1945, it is one of the first major works built in Scandinavia in the prevailing functionalist style.