Ossipee Valley - New Hampshire
Artist: William Louis Sonntag Sr.
Print Type: Engraving
Date: Circa 1870
Demensions: 11 1/2 x 8"
Subject: New Hampshire
Notes & Literature: Originally known as Wigwam Village, and then New Garden, the town was named for the Ossipee Indians, one of the twelve Algonquian tribes. It was once the site of an Indian stockade fort, designed to protect the tribe from the Mohawks in the west. In 1725, the Indian stockade was destroyed, and then rebuilt by Captain John Lovewell. The new fort was one of the largest in New England. The fort was located where the second green of Indian Mound Golf now is. Wood, ramrods and the brass bolt used for the gate were discovered when the course was built. On February 22, 1785, the legislature incorporated Ossipee as a town
Condition Report: Tear b/l/edge. Good plus
Any description and/or condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Orange County Estate Liquidators shall have no responsibility for any error or omission. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.Unless otherwise stated, all artwork sold by Orange County Estate Liquidators is assumed to be "after", "school of", "manner of" or "circle of" and will carry no warranties or guarantees as to authorship or authenticity whether stated or implied by other parts of this agreement or description. Ignorance of terms by buyer (s) is no excuse to bring action against the auction house or consignor.