George III Sterling Silver Covered Cup
hallmarked London, 1796-1797, by Henry Chawner, the goblet-form body with reeded rim and arched handles, raised on a cavetto-domed circular foot and fitted with a tall, waisted lid with vasiform finial, reeded en suite, engraved with the arms of Baron Clive of Walcot, Shropshire.
h. 14", w. 9", dia. 5-1/2"; 34.01 t. oz.
Notes: The arms here are those of Edward Clive (1754-1839), who was created Baron Clive of Walcot in 1794, and in 1804 elevated to Earl of Powis. He served as MP from Ludlow 1774-1794, after which he took his seat in the House of Lords upon his baronetage. He also served as Lord Lieutenant of Shropshire 1775-1798 and 1804-1839, and Lord Lieutenant of Montgomeryshire 1804-1830.