Lot 1508 View Catalog
Marguerite Stuber Pearson (American/Massachusetts, 1898-1978) "Rhapsodie", ca. 1947, oil on canvas, signed lower left "Marguerite S. Pearson", exhibition label on the reverse "North Shore Arts Exhibition of Gloucester, Twenty-Fifth Annual Exhibition, 1947", and an exhibition loan inventory label "On Loan From The Circulating Gallery Of The Dayton Art Institute, No. 2821", titled, signed and inscribed in black ink "Rockport, Massachusetts" on frame verso, 28-1/4" x 40". Provenance: Dayton Art Institute, Circulating Gallery, Dayton, Ohio; purchased there ca. 1952 by a private collector, thence by descent in the family, Ocean Springs, Alabama. Marguerite Pearson contracted polio in her teenage years and was confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life. She did not let the disability deter her from pursuing her dream to become an artist. Pearson studied at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts School with William James, Frederick Bosley and worked privately with Edmund Tarbell from 1922-1927. She worked as a magazine and news illustrator before turning to painting full time in 1922. By the 1940's, Pearson's work was critically and financially well-received and because of the vast popularity of her interior genre views, publishing companies reproduced her paintings as color prints. She was an active member and supporter of many arts and artists groups including the Rockport Art Association. She is well known for her mastery of still lifes, figures in interiors, portraiture and her elegant light-filled interiors with women playing musical instruments.