Important Life Sized Portrait of Carlos II (King Charles II) Attributed to Sebastian de Herrera Barnuevo (Spain, 1619 - 1671). Provenance: Sotheby's Old Master Paintings Sale (June 5, 2014. Lot 74- Estimate: $50,000-$70,000) Oil on Canvas. Sebastian de Herrera Barnuevo was a painter, draughtsman, sculptor and architect. He studied with Alonso Cano and was probably his chief assistant in Madrid during the 1640s. In 1662, he was appointed First Painter (pintor de camera) of Carlos II, a position which he held until his death. This portrait is similar in type to two other full length portraits of Carlos as a young boy of circa 1670, one in the collection of the Hermitage Museum and the other in Fundacion Lazaro Galdiano, Madrid. In those portraits the young king stands in the same pose with long wavy hair, looking out confidently at the viewer; the costumes are very similar, though red rather than black as in the present portrait, and he holds the hat in his left hand and a scepter in his right hand. Sight Size: 59.5 x 35.5 in.
Overall Size: 70 x 46.5 in.
* By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com