Le Pho (France, United States, Viet Nam, 1907 - 2001) "La Cueillette Des Lotus" exhibited painting. Provenance: Galerie Romanet, Paris. Collection of Pierre Le Tan (Son of Le Pho), Paris. Gouache on silk laid on cardboard. Signed lower right. Gallery/exhibition labels verso. Le Pho first studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts de l'Indochine in Hanoi for five years from 1925 to 1930, and then at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris during the following two years. In 1933 on his return to Hanoi, he was appointed professor in the Hanoi Ecole des Beaux-Arts, a post that he held from 1933 to 1936. This is where he developed his signature style and subjects: delicate paintings of elegant Vietnamese women mixed with floral still-lives. Le Pho's professorship in Hanoi came to an end when he was sent back to Paris in 1937 as a delegate to the International Exposition in Paris and served also as a member of the jury of this Exposition. Since that time Le Pho stayed in France. He had his first one-man show in 1938. Also he served as artistic advisor to the Embassy of Viet Nam in Paris and was a prizewinner in the International Exhibition of Beaux-Arts of Saigon. Throughout his life, he had several exhibitions in Paris, New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Buenos-Aires. He participated in shows annually at the Salon d'Automne and the Salon des Independants in Paris. The Museum of Modern Art in Paris is one of the museums holding his work.
Sight Size: 10.25 x 6 in.
Overall Size: 17 x 13 in.
* By registering to bid for this auction either in-house or online and/or placing a bid in this auction the BIDDER/BUYER agrees to all the terms and conditions of Helmuth Stone Gallery Auctions.
- All silver, gold and/or jewelry lots or invoices containing said lots MUST be paid for via wire transfer or cashier’s check, no other forms of payment will be accepted.
- We recommend looking into shipping quotes prior to bidding, shipping quotes can take up to a week or more post-sale as we host our auctions through 6 online platforms and shipping can become backlogged.
- All sales are final; no refunds will be given under any circumstances.
- Helmuth Stone Gallery provides condition reports as a courtesy to our clients and assumes no liability for any error or omission. Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, and is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Descriptions are our opinions and should in no way be construed as a guarantee of any kind as to age, condition, mater. The bidder assumes responsibility for ensuring that the condition of the item(s) meets with their satisfaction prior to bidding. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
- Online images can sometimes be low quality due to the uploading process, original high-resolution images can be requested via email at HelmuthStone@gmail.com