Ca.1550-1077 BC.New Kingdom,A gold hoop, scaphoid bezel with beaded outer edge, cells with inlaid stones in green (turquoise),blue (lapis lazuli), white ( pearl) forming a design of an opposed pair of papyrus plants. Good Condition; wearable; Inner diameter: 20mm; outer diameter: 25mm ring size UK V; US 10; 8.5gr; The technique of inlaying objects, especially jewellery, was developed to perfection in ancient Egypt, with the art being much imitated by neighbouring civilisations. The Egyptians used a range of materials for inlaying their jewellery, from glass to semi-precious stones, such as lapis lazuli that was imported from far-off Afghanistan. Many of the craftsmen were employed to create masterpieces that were destined for the royal courts, the wealthy and also the temples; the gods were decorated in jewellery comparable to that worn by the Pharaoh. Many of the workshops of the jewellers were on the grounds of important temple complexes as it was the Pharaoh who controlled the supply of gold and precious materials, plus many of the temples had the added advantage of being secure compounds that were heavily guarded. This ring represents the very fine and high level of skill that the jewellers of Egypt possessed during the New Kingdom, a time when Egypt reached its zenith. The high quality in this ring can be compared to pieces found in the intact royal burial of the three princesses of Tuthmosis III, as well as Tutankhamun. The closest parallel to this ring is one belonging to Ramses II, found at Saqqara, which is similarly decorated with opposed inlaid lotus flowers, as well as two examples now in the Walters Art Gallery. The lotus was much prized by the Egyptians for its beauty, scent and for its symbolism of re-birth.Provenance: Private London collection, formed in the 1980s on the UK art market, All Items sold by Pax Romana Auctions come with professional Certificate of Authenticity.