glazed ceramic knelling female nude with bowls, Art Deco, 1925-1930, 6 3/4" tall, excellent......Gudrun Baudisch was born in Pöls in Styria in 1907. After studying sculpture and ceramics at the School of Arts and Crafts in Graz, she joined in 1926 the ceramics class run by Vally Wieselthier in the Wiener Werkstätte. She soon belonged to the most important young female artists who early on self-confidently produced numerous designs for original ceramics. In 1928 she designed, together with Wieselthier, the cover for the publication commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Wiener Werkstätte, which to the present day is considered one of the most innovative examples of modern book design. In 1930, after leaving the Wiener Werkstätte, Baudisch founded her own ceramics workshop in Vienna and in 1935 helped work on the Austrian pavilion in Brussels. In 1936 she moved to Berlin on account of public commissions for ceiling and wall designs in stucco. In 1945 the artist returned to Austria and opened her own pottery workshop in Hallstatt under the name of ‘Keramik Hallstatt’. Gudrun Baudisch received numerous awards and was honoured with the title of professor in 1961. She died in Salzburg in 1982.