A set of 4 large Egyptian alabaster canopic jars, Late Period, c. 664 - 332 BC, each carved from a creamy stone with horizontal veins. Each jar is well-hollowed with a low ledge around the rim to fit the lids, which are now lost. Largest 8 x 6 1/4 in (20.3 x 15.7 cm). Two jars with old repair, each with good surfaces and internal mineral deposits. Canopic jars are part of Egyptian funerary equipment and were used to store the viscera of the deceased, each jar holding a specific organ or part often with a lid in the form of the head of one of the Sons of Horus, a protective deity. Ex Smith collection, Cambridge, UK acquired in 1949; Ex London private collection acquired in 1978.