A gilt-bronze-mounted brass inlaid tortoise shell, boulle marquetry and ebony veneered mantel clock, the dial and movement signed Balthazar à Paris
late 19th Century
dial with white enamel Roman numerals, above an enamelled plaque signed Balthazar à Paris, with glazed sides, the cresting surmounted by scrolling bronze on a shaped base with flattened bun leaf cast feet, the whole inlaid with engraved strapwork and foliage
Height 41 in. (104.14 cm.)
Width 18 in. (45.72 cm.)
Depth 8 in. (20.32 cm.)
clock is after the original by Balthazar Martinot (called Balthazar L'Ainé), born in Rouen in 1636 and died in 1716 in Paris. Appointed Horloger Ordinaire du Roi et du Conseil, he was also clockmaker to Anne of Austria. He was recorded working in the Rue de Calandre from 1683 till 1687, then the Quai des Orfèvres 'A la Belle Image' where in 1700 a number of clocks were siezed from Martinot who had disregarded the Edit de Mars which regulated the use of gold (see Tardy, Dictionnaire des Horlogers Français, Paris, 1971, p. 442).
The present model is closely related to designs and clocks by André-Charles Boulle (1642-1732).