Weekly Auctions of Exceptional Items
Log In
lots of lots
Lot 0007


Outstanding silver hilted Civil War presentation sword is identified to General Anthony Johnson Allaire (Then A Major) of the 133rd New York Infantry and was given to him in 1864 for gallant service. This Staff and Field officer's sword is in fantastic condition and was imported by Tiffany of New York and is so marked towards the ricasso. Handle is made of Nickel silver showing a beautiful patina. The blade shows some graying and has the typical floral patterns with a bold US. The brass scabbard has a dedication between the scabbard fittings "Major Anthony Johnson Allaire 133 New York Infantry 1864 Gallant Service". Anthony Johnson Allaire Residence was not listed; 33 years old. Enlisted on 8/12/1862 at New York City, NY as a Captain. On 8/30/1862 he was commissioned into "E" Co. NY 133rd Infantry He was Mustered Out on 6/6/1865 at Washington, DC Promotions: * Major 8/4/1864 * Lt Colonel 11/20/1864 * Colonel 3/13/1865 by Brevet * Brig-General 3/13/1865 by Brevet Intra Regimental Company Transfers: * 8/4/1864 from company E to Field & Staff. one Hundred and Thirty-third Infantry.-Cols., Leonard D. H. Currie; Lieut.-Cols., James A. P. Hopkins, Anthony J. Allaire; Majs. Abraham S. Relay, John H. Allcott, Anthony J. Allaire, George Washburn. The 133d, the 2nd "Metropolitan Guard," was recruited principally in New York city under the auspices of the Metropolitan police of New York and was organized on Staten island, where it was mustered into the U. S. service for three years on Sept. 24, 1862. It left for Washington on Oct. 8, 1862, and a few weeks later sailed for New Orleans as a part of Banks' expedition. It was assigned to the 2nd brigade, 3d (Emory's) division, 19th corps, and was first under fire at Fort Bisland in April, 1863, when it sustained a loss of 25 killed and wounded. It was engaged without loss at Opelousas and Alexandria; took an honorable and conspicuous part in the siege of Port Hudson, in which it suffered a total loss of 23 killed, 90 wounded and 2 missing, its chief losses occurring in the assaults of May 27 and June 14. After the surrender of Port Hudson, the ensuing 9 months were chiefly spent in post and garrison duty, and in some reconnaissance and expeditions into the enemy's country. It fought at Vermillion and Carrion Crow bayous in Oct., 1863, after which it served in the defenses of New Orleans until March 15, 1864, when it joined the 1st brigade, 2nd (Grover's) division, 19th corps, and started on Banks' Red River campaign, enduring much fatigue and hardship, but sustaining no further losses in battle. It rendered efficient service in building the dam on Red river, which enabled the fleet of ironclads to pass the rapids in May. In July, 1864, it embarked at New Orleans for Washington with the 1st and 2nd divisions of the corps, and participated without loss in the actions at Fort Stevens and Snicker's ferry, Va. It was attached to the 3d brigade, 1st division, Army of the Shenandoah early in the spring of 1865, and after April served in the defenses of Washington, where it was mustered out on June 6, under command of Col. Currie. The regiment lost during service, 2 officers and 43 men killed and mortally wounded; 1 officer and 78 men died of disease and other causes; total deaths, 3 officers and 121 men.

Buyer's Premium

  • 20%


Estimate $8,000 - $12,000Jan 24, 2020
Starting Price $200
Shipping & Policies
Offers In-House Shipping
Ships fromWilloughby, OH, US
Free Local Pick-UpWilloughby, OH, US