Chassis #: 3271
118 bhp, 2,451 cc V-6 engine with overhead-valves, four-speed manual gearbox in rear transaxle, sliding pillar independent front suspension, independent rear suspension with coil springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 96.5"
The Vittorio Jano-designed Lancia Aurelia was a truly revolutionary design, combining high levels of performance luxury into one attractive and compact package. First offered in 1950 in B10 Berlina guise and joined by the B20 GT two-passenger coupé in 1951, the Aurelia created an immediate sensation. The brainchild of Lancia engineer Francesco de Virgilio, it is also considered the first production automobile to utilise V-6 power. Mechanically identical to the B10 but with a larger engine, the B20 GT was designed by Boano, and series production bodywork was carried out by Pinin Farina.
Racing success came swiftly, and in action, the B20 GT silenced any doubts as to its sporting prowess by finishing second in the Mille Miglia in 1951, piloted by Giovanni Bracco and Umberto Maglioli, followed up by victories including first in class and 12th overall at Le Mans. A stunning 1-2-3 finish at the 1952 Targa Florio was followed by another high profile win at the Liege-Rome-Liege Rally in 1953.
The Lancia offered here is a desirable second-series B20 GT, which benefits from the relative simplicity and sophisticated mechanical specifications of the earlier models without the added weight of the later-series cars. Its original old English ‘buff-log’ book indicates it was first registered on 23rd November, 1954. It has more recently been acquired by its owner, an enthusiast and experienced driver who regularly competes in various historic racing events. She acquired this B20 specifically to compete in historic rallyes and has done so very successfully, even appearing on the cover of La vie de l’Auto.
Since acquiring the car, she has commissioned a great deal of mechanical work to prepare it for winter rallyes. More specifically, the heater was rebuilt, the windshield wiper motors were replaced, the steering box was rebuilt, as were the front drum brakes, and the car was fitted with a new clutch, air filter, Bilstein shock absorbers and four new wheels. Driving lights were added, and the bumpers were removed from the car to lend a more sporting appearance, but they accompany the car in the sale. Finally, the interior was equipped with a Tripmaster, rally clock and fire extinguisher. In fact, the car retains its original UK registration 5CMY. Prepared and modified by an experienced racing driver, this Lancia B20 is fully sorted and an ideal entrant for any number of historic racing events.
Contrary to the catalog description, this car is a 4th series example.