AN IMPORTANT REPUBLIC OF TEXAS MAP, "Map of Texas," NEW YORK, 1839, hand colored engraving on paper, "Compiled from surveys on record in the General Land Office of the Republic, to the year 1839," by Richard S. Hunt and Jess F. Randel, published by J.H. Colton, engraved by Stiles, Sherman & Smith, with original cloth covered gilt tooled front board, "Guide to Texas with a Map, Published by J.H. Colton, 1839," a lower view, "Map of the Rio Grande and the Country west to the Pacific," signed in plate by James Web (1792–1856), Secretary of State, John Woodward, Consul General of Texas in New York from 1836-1840, Francis Moore (1808–1864), Editor Telegraph Houston, and John Petit Borden (1812–1891), Commissioner, General Land Office, with General Land Office seal used 1838-1842. 31 1/2" x 24" Note: The map showing early Texas Colonies divided by red hand colored lines: McMullen & McGloin's Colony, Power's Colony, Dewitt's Colony, Austin's Small Colony, Robertson's Colony, Milam's Colony, Leon's Colony, and an unnamed colony between Austin's Colony and Zavala Colony in the east. Counties are hand colored respectively in yellow, orange, green and blue, and include Fannin, Red River, Nacogdoches, Robertson, Harrisburg, Milam, Harrison, Shelby, San Augustine, Houston, Liberty, Jefferson, Galveston, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Bastrop, Austin, Washington, Fayette, Matagorda, Victoria, Refugio, Goliad San Patricio, and Bexar Counties. The map details major waterways, mentioning Comanche Ranches, Herds of Buffaloes, Cado villages burned by Gen. Rush in January 1839, Enchanted Rock and other topographical elevations expressed in hachur, the Old Spanish road from Santa Fe to Bexar, and telegraph lines. In plate signers serving the Republic of Texas acknowledge, "We, the undersigned, have inspected the above map and give it our approval as being a compilation from the best and most recent authorities...I hereby Certify that the compiler of this map has had access to the records of this office and that the map was compiled from them." The Sabine and portions of the Red River serve as an eastern border to the United States.