Lot 839 View Catalog
Small woven ribbon commemorating the funding and building of The Gloucester Life Boat that was presented to the Royal National Life Boat Institution in 1867. An early T. Stevens, Coventry manufactured ribbon and early Life Saving Service piece. Size: 5" L x 1" W Condition: toned with some spotting Falmouth is situated on the Carrick Roads, a large natural harbour on the south coast. It developed as a port for packet boats in the seventeenth century. These moved elsewhere in the 1850s but a new commercial dockyard was founded in 1860. A committee was set up in 1865 to request the RNLI to station a lifeboat at Falmouth. A wooden lifeboat house was sanctioned and constructed near the recently constructed docks, being opened on28 August 1867. The building cost £158 and a 10-oared lifeboat was built in London at a cost of £280. This was paid for by money raised in Gloucester and so the boat had been named City of Gloucester in that city earlier that year, on 9 April. Another £98 10s paid for a carriage that enabled the boat to be transported to the best launch site for any particular rescue. In 1918
|Estimate||$20 – $50|
Your maximum bid will remain private.