LAMBERTVILLE, N.J. – Rago Arts and Auction Center’s fine art auctions on Nov. 17 brought in an abundant $2.29 million.
“We expected the strong results achieved from works in the Malbin collection and got them,” said Meredith Hilferty, who directs Rago’s fine art department. “We also saw incredible enthusiasm for contemporary art across the board, with many lots topping their high estimate.”
In the early 20th century category a pastel by Russian artist Nicholas Roerich that came in on Rago’s Appraisal Day stole the show selling for $87,500 against an estimate of $10,000-$15,000. Works by Bucks County artists Fern Coppedge and John Folinsbee also soared past the high estimates, noted Hilferty.
Of the 492 lots, 77 percent sold. More than 500 Internet bidders participated from the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Australia, the Philippines, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, Russia, Israel, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Ukraine, Lithuania, United Kingdom, Norway, Sweden and Finland.
Top 10 lots from the 19th/20th Century American and European Art
- Lot 7, Nicholas Konstantinovich Roerich, untitled, price realized: $87,500.
- Lot 36, Fern Isabel Coppedge, Autumn, Bucks County, price realized: $62,500.
- Lot 10, William Keith, Sentinel Rock, Yosemite Valley, price realized: $36,250.
- Lot 33, Robert Spencer, untitled, price realized: $35,000.
- Lot 20, Balthus (Balthasar Klossowski de Rola), Levrier, price realized: $25,000.
- Lot 39, John Fulton Folinsbee, untitled, price realized: $25,000.
- Lot 85, Edward Laning, The Building, price realized: $17,500.
- Lot 43, Andrew Wyeth, untitled (German Shepherd), price realized: $16,250.
- Lot 13, Granville Redmond, untitled, price realized: $10,625.
- Lot 50, Lloyd Raymond Ney, Paris, France, price realized: $9,375.
Top 10 lots from the Postwar and Contemporary Art
- Lot 504, Josef Albers, Study for Painting: Mirage A, price realized: $81,250.
- Lot 502, Piero Dorazio, Romance, price realized: $75,000.
- Lot 591, Bridget Riley, untitled, price realized: $75,000.
- Lot 514, Jean Arp, Abstract Form II, $68,750.
- Lot 512, Jean Arp, Ganymède, price realized: $62,500.
- Lot 513, Jean Arp, Abstract Form I’ price realized: $59,375.
- Lot 506, César (Baldaccini), L’Oiseau De Fer (Iron Bird), price realized: $50,000.
- Lot 657, Raymond Pettibon, untitled, (The question is … ), price realized: $40,625.
- Lot 511, Frans Krajcberg, Composition, price realized: $26,250.
- Lot 516, Victor Vasarely, Nethe, price realized: $25,000.
Consignments are now being accepted for Rago’s May 2013 fine art auctions and all of Rago’s Spring 2013 auctions: 609.397.9374 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
ADDITIONAL LOTS OF NOTE