BOSTON – A group of four Elektra Records signed promotional photos of the Doors sold for $18,262 at an RR Auction online autograph sale that closed Aug. 12. View the fully illustrated catalog on LiveAuctioneers.
The vintage matte-finish photographs individually signed in black felt tip, “J. Morrison,” “John Densmore,” “Robby,” and “Ray.”
This was the only set of these entire band signed Elektra Records promo photos that RR Auction had ever offered, with the elusive and much sought after Morrison autograph.
“Because of Morrison’s brief and meteoric career, he just wasn’t available to sign material that we typically see from other 1960’s icons,” said Bobby Livingston, executive vice president at RR Auction.
Highlights from the sale included:
– George Washington handwritten letter, penned in the period between the end of Revolutionary War and taking office as president: $28,016.
– Jack Swigert signed NASA lithograph: $14,742.
– Nikola Tesla bold ink signature: $7,130.
– Iwo Jima Marine Corps flag-raising photo signed by three Iwo Jima survivors: $7,205.
– Diego Rivera original 1933 sketch from the Mexican artist: $6,055.
– Sun Yat-sen rare matte-finish signed oval portrait of the Chinese leader: $20,660.
View top auction results on LiveAuctioneers here: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/pages/recent-auction-sales/