Abell to launch sale of NASA official’s space race items Oct. 6
LOS ANGELES – An exclusive assortment of items from the estate of Thomas O. Paine, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration administrator who oversaw the U.S. space program during the first manned missions to the moon, will be auctioned on Oct. 6 by Abell Auction Co. Bid absentee or live online through LiveAuctioneers.
Named the third administrator of NASA by President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1969, Paine served during the first seven Apollo missions in which 20 astronauts orbited the earth, 14 flew to the moon and four walked on its surface. An array of rare NASA memorabilia signed by Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins will be offered, including:
– Framed American flag with Apollo IX patch carried into space aboard Apollo IX spacecraft ($1,500-$2,000).
– Framed photograph “Man on the Moon” signed by Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins ($2,000-$3,000).
– Framed photograph “Man’s First Foot Print on the Moon” signed by Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong.
– Framed photograph “The Moon” annotated and signed by Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong ($600-$800).
– Peanuts “Snoopy on the Moon” comic strip annotated and signed by Charles M. Schulz ($2,000-$3,000).
– Framed photograph “Apollo 11 Spacewalk” with matting signed by Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins ( $1,000-$1,500).
– NASA Apollo 11 sterling trophy “Man on the Moon” dated July 1969, A.D. and inscribed with the names of President Richard M. Nixon and Apollo 11 astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins ($1,000-$1,500).
The Oct. 6 sale also will feature the estate of Mario Zamparelli, a marketing genius and designer who gained fame creating the corporate identity of Trans World Airlines for aviation billionaire Howard Hughes.
Zamparelli developed iconic design identities for companies such as Capital Records, Universal Pictures, Nissan, Hunts Foods, Mattel and Suzuki. For those interested in his unique personal effects, featured items include a small Auguste Rodin bronze and period midcentury modern furniture by Finn Juhl, Hans Wegner, Florence Knoll, Eero Saarinen and many more.
Abell is also offering a stunning collection of fine art, antique and contemporary furniture, 20th century design, jewelry and exotic sports cars from prominent Southern California estates. Vehicles include a 2017 Ferrari 488 Spider, 2017 Ferrari California T Handling Special and 2015 Bentley Flying Spur 12.
For more information call Abell Auction Co. at 323-724-8102.