Hindman adds to week of fine art auctions May 21
CHICAGO – Hindman will continue to host remote auctions with a week-long lineup of Fine Art and Design auctions beginning May 19. The company’s Post War and Contemporary Art auction offers 74 lots. This exciting week of sales will include a selection of highly curated material with works from top artists and designers. Bid absentee or live online through LiveAuctioneers.
One of the most important collections being offered during this week of Art and Design is the Collection of Norene Goldstein of Chicago. This carefully curated selection, with works spanning all three Fine Art sales, illustrates this exceptional and well-rounded collection.
The Thursday, May 21, Post War and Contemporary Art auction will offer yet another strong selection of works by Chicago Imagists, following up on the record-setting prices achieved for artists from the movement at Hindman in the fall of 2019. Highlighting this round of Imagist offerings are rare and important early-career works by Miyoko Ito (above), Gladys Nilsson (below), Jim Nutt and Barbara Rossi.
The auction also features a strong selection of works on paper by artists including Wayne Thiebaud, Cy Twombly and Jean Dubuffet (below).
– Lot 1, Miyoko Ito, Irrigation, 1976, oil on canvas, 46 x 42 inches, $40,000-$60,000.
– Lot 5, Roger Brown, Dancing Houses-The Earthquake of 1994, oil on canvas, 48 x 72 inches, $50,000-$70,000.
– Lot 9, Gladys Nilsson, Gr-Apes, 1972, acrylic on canvas, 28 x 22 inches, $30,000-$50,000.
– Lot 54, Wayne Thiebaud, Cake Studies, 1997, pen and pastel on paper, 11 x 8½ inches, $20,000- $30,000.
– Lot 55, Cy Twombly, Untitled, 1965, pencil and wax crayon, 26½ x 34 inches, $50,000-$70,000.
– Lot 56, Jean Dubuffet, Paysage, 1974, colored pencils and black pen pasted on black paper, 18 x 12 ¾ inches, $20,000-$30,0000.
Another highlight is Stanley Boxer’s Archingscreaminwinterslash, Lot 43, estimated at $4,000-$6,000.
View top auction results on LiveAuctioneers here: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/pages/recent-auction-sales/